In the old days, if you wanted to go for a run and needed to know how far you were running, you essentially had to use the local track or drive the route and use your vehicle’s odometer to measure. With today’s smartphones you have new options that make tracking your runs a lot easier. One of the best on the market now is RunKeeper—and even better, it’s free.
Previously you could choose between the “pro” and “free” versions, but now the developer has changed it to include all the features for free. It allows you to utilize the GPS features on your phone to track jogging, cycling, walking, hiking, and any other exercise routes. If you have occasion to exercise indoors on a stationary treadmill or other equipment, you can manually enter those exercises in order to have an accurate picture of your fitness activities.
In addition to tracking your movement anywhere around the world, the app also includes details like your average pace, distance covered, total workout time, and calories burned. You can track your heart rate with the sensor feature, and even take pictures along the route so you can share it on your social media pages or send it to friends and family via text message or email.
If you need a little extra motivation, you can also use features like progress reports and coaching piped through your headphones with audio cues. Since the app runs through your iPhone, you can also use the music feature to listen to music from your iTunes library.
The app stores all your data so you can see your progress over time, including when you reach personal bests and milestones. If you have a specific goal, you can set that information in the RunKeeper app and it will let you know when you achieve your fitness objectives. Plus if you have other apps like Fitbit, Withings, Zeo, or Garmin, you can integrate the data from RunKeeper with the other apps to track a broader picture of your fitness activities and general health over time.
- Track fitness activities and distances for running, walking, hiking, cycling, and more
- Get up-to-the-minute stats about your pace, distance, and total time
- Activate coaching cues for added motivation
- Integrate with iTunes to listen to music while you workout
- Share workouts and progress with friends and family
- Take pictures along the route to save for later, or share online
- Track your fitness goals over time and get notifications when you hit milestones
- Access and follow detailed plans for your specific fitness goals
- Review a history of your workouts over time
- Integrate with other health and fitness apps for a broad overview of your entire fitness plan
With the myriad of features now included in the free version of RunKeeper, users have rated this app at 4.5/5 stars, and it remains one of the most popular running and exercising apps available.